Wednesday, October 3, 2007

New Rig...

Yay! I've been a little absent from the blog for a few days (a week?) mostly because I've been spending a lot of time spec'ing out and now building a new computer. My existing desktop machine is a 5-year-old+ hunk-a-junk. Well... it's OK... it's just not cutting it anymore, even in WoW which isn't terribly demanding on hardware. My newer laptop does OK, but was having some difficulty with dropping me from WoW in certain critical spots (Karazhan for one). Another guildmate with a desktop computer had problems in the same spot and neither of us can figure it out. My household *needed* a new computer. I was starting to worry about losing years worth of digital photos and other items and it was just time.

I finally got the go-ahead, made up a list on NewEgg, and managed to get up the gumption to hit the "buy" button. (I don't spend money well.)

Parts all came yesterday and after about a 2 1/2 hour build, I was up and running with Vista -- yeah, I know -- and a new rig. Haven't had the chance to try anything too fancy in WoW yet, but lets just say it's like a whole new game when you can actually crank up all the fancy graphics settings *and* still get 60+ FPS. Quite nice. The world looks all new and shiny. 'Course the WoW install took longer than Vista with 8 CDs (versus 1 DVD) and a giant patch to get me from Burning Crusade to v2.2.2.

So far so good. I'll have a more directly related WoW post soon... I hope. I'm off for home to finish installing stuff. :)

5 comments:

Mana Battery Bitch said...

That's not a computer, that's a spaceship o_O

Lleu said...

Very nice... except for Vista :P I couldn't get WoW to run on it. Every patch I had to go back in and "Run as Admin" on the patcher. I finally got sick of it and went back to XP

Mana Battery Bitch said...

Where'd you go? :/

Lleu said...

I'm sure he'll be back soon. He's got to up to 1.12 by now!

Annai said...

I'm still here. Lots of stuff going on IRL and haven't had time even during the day to sneak on a post or two. I have so many ideas for posts and not nearly enough time. :(